3 Points Of Contact Rule: Every worker on a construction site faces the risk of falling, one of the top four dangers they may face. OSHA says that 338 of the 1008 construction worker deaths in 2018 were caused by falls.
Education and training are important if you want to stay safe at work and avoid becoming a scary safety statistic. The three-points-of-contact rule is the best way to keep people from slipping, tripping, or falling.
What is the “3 points of contact rule”?
Keep at least three of your four limbs in contact with the ground when getting on or off a vehicle, ladder, or stable platform. It must be used to get on and off solid surfaces like ladders or big machines.
Use a ladder by following the “3 points of contact rule.”
It is important to always have all three feet on the ground when climbing a ladder. Under this rule, you must always have three ways to climb the ladder. This means you should always have at least one foot and one hand on the ladder, ideally both feet and one hand.
This is so you don’t lose your balance and fall off the ladder. Also, don’t go any higher than the third step from the top. This is because climbing higher makes you less stable and more likely to fall.
Any job above the third step needs a scaffold or a safe workplace. Because of this, you’ll have a safe, stable place to work.
For a ladder to be safe, you must always have three points of contact with it. This is a very important safety rule that you must always follow.
Always hold on to three things to keep from falling.
You probably know about the “three points of contact” rule for keeping yourself from tripping. But what is it exactly, and how do you use it?
For balance and support, you can use two hands and one foot, or one hand and two feet, when stepping into or out of a vehicle, solid platform, or ladder. When you reach your destination, you can break the contact triangle for good (the ground, vehicle cab, stable platform, etc.).
When you use the “3 points of contact rule”, keep the following in mind:
- To improve your grip, dry your hands and clean your boots of any extra dirt or snow.
- Turn around when getting on or off a moving car, platform, or ladder.
- When getting on a platform, hold on to the rails.
- Don’t tie yourself up. A tool belt or hoist line can move larger items, like tools, up to the working level. As you leave the car, drop the tool or other needed item and pick it up from the floor.
- Do not use a spare tyre as a ladder; instead, get into the car the way the manufacturer tells you to. Don’t try to lift yourself by holding the steering wheel.
- Don’t just jump off the thing and land on the floor. Even if you don’t trip or fall, your joints will hurt from the impact.
- Never get in or try to control any moving machine.
- Before you get off your horse, check the ground for dangers like sticks, pebbles, or liquids.
- Don’t walk around with your shirt or necklace hanging out.
Using three points of contact seems simple, and you will likely already do it. But the one time you don’t is important.
Different ways how to stop people from falling?
The 3 points of contact rule is important, but it’s not the only way to keep workers safe. More methods should be used to ensure that employees are as safe as possible. Both the boss and the worker are responsible for ensuring that everyone on the job site is always safe.
All workers have the right to work in a safe place, and it is the employer’s job to make that happen. A company can do more than train its employees to make the workplace as safe as possible.
The following are things that every employer must do:
- Examine and evaluate equipment regularly.
- Make sure there are a lot of steps and places that won’t slip.
- Devices that keep people from falling must be used.
- Putting up warning signs on the doors of heavy machinery
- Employees should be taught the right way to get on and off the bus.
- Teach all new employees the “3 points of contact rule.”
- Of course, everyone else should do the same.
- Keep your back to the moving vehicle, ladder, or firm ground and stay in a straight line.
- Do not, under any circumstances, jump off or down anything.
- Always wear sturdy shoes that fit well, and have enough grip.
- Never use a wheel hub or a tyre as a platform or a footing.
- It would be best if you never held on to a door frame or edge.
- Make sure that they can move around freely.
- Don’t carry anything with the hand you’re not using.
Other safety precautions
The most important thing to do at all times is to make sure everyone is safe. People familiar with their workplace and the area around it are better able to spot and avoid trip and fall hazards. The best way to ensure this happens is to check the workplace often.
It’s important to consider ways to keep yourself and others safe when working on a project. For example, if you are working on a roof, you need to consider all possible dangers and plan for the worst. Whether the goal is to help yourself or make money, this is true.
Planning and knowing exactly what tools you need for a project is important. Accidents can be prevented using the right tools, such as a man lift. Choose the right ladder for the job to reduce the chance of getting hurt.